Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kenny Bloggins from Durango, CO

Hello world. We are now in Durango and have been since yesterday. We plan to stay the night tonight as well. Then off to the Grand Canyon.

For the past several days we have been camping in Colorado. First at Sylvan Lake which is about 40min or so from Eagle, CO where Mr Christopher Davis resides. Next was near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Pretty beautiful place.

We had spent 2 nights at Admiral Nelson's apartment in Avon. During those 2-days we played Disc Golf on top of Beaver Creek ski resort with Chris and also built a log rail. The photos that follow will give a general idea as to what this is all about.

Other than these things we have had all good luck with the car (only bottomed out on one rock!), good gas mileage and plentiful scenic routes.

Also: Please feel free to CLICK on the photos below to get a larger and more detailed look at the madness.



Avon Playground :
Disc Golf on the Beaver :
Descending toward a secret valley :



Building a log rail for riding in the winter. This thing took around 4-5hrs and none of us had eaten previous to taking it on. The rail is gigantic :











On the way up to Sylvan Lake there is a semi-sharp corner on a dirt road. Some people think that because they are in a 4x4 vehicle that they can take the corner at 60mph. Those people are wrong :

Free roaming cows :
Sylvan Lake (area) camping fireworks extravaganza!!! :



The Admiral :

Some kind of mystical middle finger fireworks. Odd :
Christopher :
Grim camping :


Hill :
Black Canyon of the Gunnison :



More camping :
These cows came toward our campsite from the far side of this photo. They were very curious and were looking like they wanted to come to our site and hang out. However, knowing that cows are a little slow in their minds and knowing we would like to finish packing out gear without cows standing on or tents, etc. I decided to drive at them and honk. They didn't move at all. Micah suggested driving in a circle in front of them while honking. This worked well :
The view we awoke to from our site. This is pre-cow :
South of Ouray, CO :



There will be more to come in a while. Since we are heading to the Grand Canyon then to Death Valley and Yosemite, there will be few Internet Cafe's at which to stop and put on a new post. See you in a while.

4 comments:

Intrigue or Disdain? The tale of Dom in Korea said...

Man I really wish I could have been on this trip. I wanna kick it with "admiral" right now I'm about to watch a musical i Korean with 50 kids with too much energy. Fuck, Black Canyon looks spectacular! Lets do this sort of road thing for a little while when I am there. I needs me some of those happenings. great photos of cows.

gypsy said...

Thanks for making me laugh, I love the way you"see" things and your interpretation thereof. Micah, Micah, Micah...I love your zest for life and I'm also glad the I don't know about your life threatening feats until after the fact!!! Sons, continue to listen to the beat of your own drums for there is freedom in it and life that you give to others.

Unknown said...

Derek you're a professional blogger. I can't believe I forgot about this site. You boys seem to behaving well. Can't wait until I catch up on my reading and follow you with all my heart all the way to California!!! Gays.

Joe

Casey Tatum said...

for future reference:

admiral nelson's apartment is generally referred to as the
"U.N. Headquarters"

grim camping is the only way

-U.N.